Friday, September 26, 2008

My Seed Planter

Sometimes it feels like a thankless job to be a mother. I know in my head that I am appreciated whether my family says it outloud or not, but sometimes it is hard to not grow weary of doing dishes, doing laundry, dusting, vacuuming, doing dishes, doing laundry, wiping noses, wiping bottoms, cleaning the bathroom, taking out the trash, scooping dog poop, mowing grass, watering grass, doing dishes, doing laundry, reorganizing bedrooms, vacuuming, fluffing smooshed pillows on couches that are smooshed from making forts that weren't put away, doing dishes, doing laundry, etc., etc., etc...you get the point. Don't get me wrong, I really do love being a mommy. It is totally worth it to be there when they get an ouchie and my kisses are magic to make it better. It is totally worth it to just have a day of doing nothing but playing checkers and wrestling and tickling on the floor. It is totally worth it to be able to sit down and read stories with my babies on the couch. It is totally worth it to be able to lay down with my baby (okay, she's 3 1/2, but she's still my baby) and take a nap just because we are worn out on that particular day or just because she wants to cuddle--which is happening less and less these days. My point of all this is to point out that my mom did all these things for me and much, much more. I want to say thank you to her--in a public forum--for all that she did for us growing up. My mom was great! She sewed clothes for us, so we could be matching twinkie girls on Easter. She specifically and intentionally didn't work a job outside the home just so that she could be there when we got home from school. She let me help sponge paint my room when I was in 4th or 5th grade, which I have to say was very brave of her, but probably gave me the seeds of desire to be painting these days. My mom believed in the family bed when we were little, so I knew it was "okay" to let my baby sleep with me when I started my own family. My mom let me nurse, even in public (gasp!), when I was old enough to walk and talk and even when it wasn't popular. My mom took me to my first La Leche League meeting as an adult (she took me a lot when I was young) when I was too nervous to go on my own--another thing that planted seeds to get me where I am today. I started another La Leche League group where there wasn't one, and I've trained 2 more since then. It does make a difference to be a momma. I am by no means a perfect mama. I by no means have all the answers. I do my best. That what my mom did for me. That's all we can do. Thank you mom for loving me! Thank you mom for being my seed planter.

No comments: