Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Multilingual

My 3-year-old, Breanna, is multilingual. She speaks English very well, I must say. She knows a few words of Spanish, thanks to Dora the Explorer. But she also has a language all her own. It's not like a very young child that is just learning to speak and they just say the words funny (ie. milk is mik). Breanna has a whole language of her own. She translates for us and remembers the words! It's really funny. The other day, as we were driving down the road, she and Aidan were playing red light, green light in the back seat. "Sonto!" she said to him. "Sonto!" she repeated. Then she translated for us, " Sonto means stop, Bubba." Of course it does. She makes up the funniest little names for her babies and ponies when she's playing, too. Names like Kiranaly, and Kirsha are the norm for her world. Somehow I need to tap into her little brain and harness that creative language energy. Hmmm... That is my new goal. I would like to write a book. I think I've mentioned it before on here. I'm still waiting for my final inspiration from God as to the subject matter. I've had several ideas, but nothing yet that I am just soooo excited about. Maybe I'll just have to have Breanna help me. We'll see. I'll keep you posted. In the meantime, we are learning to speak Breanna-ese.

No comments: