Monday, November 10, 2008

Sweet Music

When Aidan started kindergarten this year, I told myself that I would not be one of those moms that took their kid to school in their pajamas. That lasted all of two weeks, I think. I do put on sweat pants or exercise pants or something on the bottom, but it is usually my pajama top under my jacket. Oh well. But every other Friday, I make myself get going and I get dressed and ready before school because I go to volunteer in Aidan's class. Oh my gosh, it is soooooo cute! First of all, Aidan is so funny when he is with his friends. One time when they were doing "centers" in the afternoon, Aidan chose the art station. This station gives them the ability to chat more while they are coloring or cutting or taping or pasting. I don't remember how it came up, but they were comparing "war" stories...
"One time I got a spanking for..."
"One time I got a spanking with the belt for...! Man, it hurt!" laugh, laugh, laugh.
You get the point. It was just funny. Last week was a special week, though. Aidan was the Star Student of the week which means he gets to bring show and tell on Friday. Since Mommy was there on this day, he chose to bring something a little bit bigger because I could keep it in the car until show and tell time. He brought his marine (aka camouflage) guitar that he got for his birthday last year. I figured he would bring it to show, maybe strum it a couple times, and then let the other kids touch it, but just in case, I asked him during recess before show and tell what song he was going to sing. I expected him to say, "Oh, Mom. I'm not going to play a song in front of my friends." He didn't. He told me exactly what song he was going to sing. At this point I have to tell you that Aidan has not had any formal guitar lessons yet. He just puts on his guitar and walks around the house "playing" and singing to it. Occasionally, he will play it with the radio with rock being his genre of choice (thank you, Daddy).

Right before show and tell, I go get his guitar and bring it in. A few of the kids see it and get excited about it, so Aidan's teacher puts it behind his desk while the kids go out to recess one more time for the day. Next, they come in and sit down for show and tell. Aidan gets his guitar out of the box, puts the strap on, and sits down in the chair in front of his peers. His teacher then asks him if he is going to play a song for the class and he nods his head. I just smile because he is so cute just sitting there holding it! Next thing I know, he is strumming and singing! Oh my gosh it was precious!!! He got about half way through the song, stopped suddenly and said he forgot the rest of the words. Who cares? The kids all clapped and were very impressed with what he had done. I wanted to cry, tears of joy, of course. I know that I would not have been able to do that at his age. I was just so proud of him. It took a lot of courage to get up in front of his peers and do that. Maybe we have a future American Idol on our hands...;)

No comments: