Monday, May 18, 2009

In Town Hunting

My son LOVES hunting. He gets to go bird hunting with Grandad, and we hear about it for days. He talks about elk hunting all the time, too. And deer hunting...

Although we live in the middle of our small town, the area used to be full of orchards, and is still somewhat rural in feel. Occasionally, we get bears that knock our trash over. (Yes, I know they are bears because I called the police when my neighbors dog was barking incessantly at 2 o'clock in the morning. When the police arrived, they found the dog had treed a bear.) We sometimes have raccoons and often skunks. Much to the chagrin of my neighbors that have vegetable gardens, we also have deer. A couple days ago, 2 such deer were walking down the middle of our road. The kids and I happened to be out in the front yard. Aidan shushed Bre and I and quickly ran in the house.
"Surely, he is not afraid," I thought. I knew better. In the meantime, the deer started to walk down the road. Out comes Aidan from the house with his plastic Batman sword.
"What are you doing?!" I ask. It took everything I had to not roll on the ground laughing at his response.
"I'm deer hunting," like it is completely natural and common occurrence to deer hunt with a plastic, toy sword.
"What are you going to do with your sword?" With a questioning look as if I am the crazy one, he replied,
"I can hit it really hard!" as he raised his sword in the air and demonstrated his "really hard" hitting technique. Fortunately for the deer they had already run down the road out of sight. We did have to go for a walk and look for them, but we never saw those particular deer again...on that day. But I am sure that Aidan is still on the look out for them, and when that happens, they better hope he doesn't have his sword with him.

No comments: