Friday, May 8, 2009

My Marine



I love living in a small town. I really do. Last weekend was the yearly parade for spring time. As usual, we went to go watch. As usual, there were marching bands, the queen and her court, the senior citizen king and queen, floats, and the color guard. My son is a fanatic of anything remotely having to do with the Marines, Army, or military in general. Something only has to be camouflage to be completely awesome in Aidan's mind. Perhaps because I grew up in a military household, I feel strongly that we need to salute the flag for the entire time that it is in front of us until it has passed. I know that freedom isn't free. The least we can do is salute the flag of our country. My kids darn well better get their behinds up, too. I seriously get choked up every time. I get a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes every time the flag goes by. When the Army trucks and the Marine humvee drive by with soldiers in uniform sitting in it, I always try to look in their eyes and tell them, "Thank you!" I'm getting forklempt just writing about it 2 weeks later. I know it's not a lot, but I just want to express my thanks at least a little bit and in a small way to those that do protect and serve our country.




What does all that have to do with MY marine? It's simple. We all know that Brad was not in the Marines. However, I would honestly be surprised if Aidan does not become a Marine when he grows up. He loves to play good guys and bad guys and little army men. Anything camouflage is "Marine" to Aidan. Grandpa and Great-Grandpa were Marines. He and grandpa play Marines. He just loves it. So a few weeks ago I was playing with my camera and, as usual, Aidan was a more than willing subject...with his sword and his Marine salute. Make sure you look at the pictures in order...no, we don't salute Hitler in our house. I am still working with the timing on my camera. You'll see what I'm talking about below.



After this picture was taken, Brad did explain to Aidan that one's hand is supposed to go down after a salute...

No comments: