Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Word

We're not saying it. We're talking around it. It feels like if we don't say it, then it isn't really true. Maybe it will un-happen. If only... Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. This is real life, not the movies. I guess it's kind of been a long time coming, but it just wasn't supposed to happen to me. Isn't that what everyone says? But statistically speaking, it really wasn't supposed to happen to me. Really. I'm sure you're wondering what I'm talking about by now. Lupus. I have lupus. There. I've said it. Some slightly strange things have been going on with my body. I won't go into the details--trust me, you don't want to know. So I've been going to the doctor, and "just in case" he wanted me to run some blood work to see if it came back positive for lupus. My dad had it. My sister has it. Now I have it. It's supposed to be less than 5% chance of passing it onto your offspring--even if you have a sibling that has it. Thanks, Dad. Apparently, my parents had a good combination that way. Native Americans are one of the higher risk groups, apparently. Maybe my mom's Cherokee blood and my dad's health history were just the right combination. Apparently so. I don't even know what to do right now. I wasn't home last night when my doctor called. I haven't even got to talk to him about my questions yet. He wasn't in yet when I called this morning. I haven't even got to talk to my mom yet. Happy birthday, Mom. Yesterday was also her birthday. My husband isn't talking much about it. Like I said, he won't even say the word. He is so worried. He's a worrier. He holds it in and worries. Please pray for him, so that he won't get an ulcer. I did get to talk to my sister this morning. She is doing really well. She has actually been in remission for a long time. So much so, that she just found out about that other word that most people don't say--she's pregnant! I am so excited for her!!! What a day. It is simultaneously very high and very low. Please pray for her, too, that she will have a healthy pregnancy. It was interesting to talk to Dena this morning. Like most of us, her faith in God has gone up and down, but this morning she was sharing some challenges in their life right now. She told me that God never gives us more than we can handle. It says that in the Bible. I was looking for the refence for that verse when I came across this one, Ephesians 5:19-20: ...Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything... It doesn't say give thanks for just the good things He gives us--for everything. Here's another one from 1 Thessalonians 5: 16 Be joyful always; 17pray continually; 18give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. Give thanks in all circumstances. ALL circumstances. ALL. Thank you, God, for allowing me to have Lupus. Why? I don't know. That's up to Him.

3 comments:

Jenn Majors said...

((((HUGS)))) You are in my thought and prayers. Do you need anything?

Miss Jen said...

Jennille I am so sorry that you are having to go thru this, I am glad that they figured it out and you and your family will be in our prayers.

Amanda said...

Oh Jennille, this is so not what we expected. But, you are right. We do have to give thanks in all circumstances. That alone feels like a promise that God will make it worthy of thankfulness and that feels hopeful. I'm especially thankful for you, friend. We are praying.