Saturday, August 2, 2008

Dinosaurs & Armpit Farts

As the days quickly draw nearer to the end of summer and the first day of kindergarten, I find myself just wanting to chill out with my kibbies. Of course, laundry still has to be done and dishes washed--I can't be a complete slob. I find myself just wanting to hang out with them. It's feels like an end to an era. Aidan's going to kindergarten! He'll be gone all day...everyday. Not than I've never left him anywhere before. He's had more sleepovers with the grandparents than I can count. A couple times it's even been for two nights in a row. This is different. I love being with him and having him around. Yes, he makes poor choices sometimes and fights too much with Breanna, and yes, he knows how to completely make an extremely dangerous living area of his room in under 60 seconds flat. But he giggles and races and digs and puddle splashes and ant smashes and sword fights and gives me increasingly toothless kisses on only my cheek in the cutest of ways. What will I do when I can't just wrestle with him or tickle him anytime I want? I know that it will be fabulous time with just Breanna. It really will! She is so much fun to play with, too. And that girl likes to shop! She's 3 and she loves to shop! She even helps me pick out clothes--all pink, mind you--but she does help. It's just going to be so quiet around here. One small consolation I do have is that several of my friends have their firstborns going off to kindergarten, too. I won't be alone in my angst. Even playdates will be more quiet...I pray that all the kids start school on the same day so we can all meet and cry together. That's what girl friends are for, right?

You are probably wondering at this point what the title of this blog has to do with starting kindergarten. In my efforts to just hang out with my kids and just be with them, I have been trying to loosen up a little bit. Case in point, Aidan came to me while I was fixing dinner last night and asked me how to do armpit noises. Like the loving, disciplinarian mom that I am, I promptly put the spatula down and showed him how to do a proper armpit fart. It was great fun! He got a couple good ones out. I was impressed. Somehow, I never was very good at armpit farts until my 5 1/2-year-old son asked me to show him how. The really funny part was watching Breanna try to do it, as well. She puts one hand up her shirt (but not necessarily in her armpit) and flaps the other arm wildly (think: chicken dance). It was hilarious! The other thing we did for probably 2 hours yesterday afternoon was put snap-together, glow-in-the-dark dinosaurs together. It really was fun. Aidan likes dinosaurs. Breanna likes anything that Aidan likes. In that respect, it will be fun to see her come into her own as big brother is not around to guide their play most of the day. She'll have to do her own thing. I'm sure I will entertain her for the first few days, just to ease the transition of not having Bubba around, but I am so not into the entertain your kid all day long thing. We'll see. I'm sure that it will all turn out just fine. That's the great thing about God: He's with my Aidan even when I can't be. I just have to trust Him. That's what it's all about.

No comments: