Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Karate Kid Lives On

You know you loved it. We all did. It was the 80's. Daniel-son. Mr. Miaggi. The crane kick--you know you did it. Admit it. On the playground. I was there, too. Anyway, what's not to love? We still watch it at our house. Unless you are Renese, you know exactly what I'm talking about. It's the Karate Kid movie. Well, the Karate Kid came back to life recently--in a little different form. He's a 6-year-old white kid from Colorado instead of a 15-year-old Italian kid from New Jersey. Aidan started karate lessons thanks to Grandad. He has talked about doing karate for a really long time, so I was pretty surprised when we went on the first night and he got his suit on and didn't want to participate at all. Great. It's already paid for. Get out there and do it. No, Mom. Fine. Grandad did it. Sissy did it, even. Now Daddy's up there. There goes Mommy, too. No Aidan. I don't want to push too hard. Fast forward to night #2 of karate. He's out there on the floor doing the kicks, punches, stances, and answering questions--with Mommy and Sissy. Now all 3 of us have our white belts. I'm serious. It's fun. Now he goes twice a week and loves it! However, he does have a small reservation about his instructors: he doesn't think they know how to do the kick from, you guessed it, the Karate Kid. I told you we still watch that movie.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Boy did I love it! I thought the Karate Kid was the cutest boy ever and it never occured to me that he wouldn't be in hundreds of other movies after all THREE karate kids. Of course he would...he was a babe. Whatever happened to that guy?!? He's probably some hot mall security guard somewhere with a lot of karate training. Sigh...I need to watch that again!