Thursday, July 3, 2008

Iron sharpens iron

Proverbs 27:17
As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
That's not our verse this week, but I am so thankful for the concept of it. While I'm sure I have mentioned my thankfulness for our small group before, I was again very grateful for our small group this week. It is so cool to have a small group of people that are truly growing in the Lord--and that we can be accountable and vulnerable with. What a special gift from the Lord! I know as a woman it seems to be easier to be vulnerable with someone else, but for a man (ie. Brad) it is very hard to be vulnerable with someone else--especially a group of people. But the Lord has blessed us with just that: a wonderfully caring, sincere, Godly group of people that allows us to be just that: vulnerable as we grow. Webster's dictionary defines vulnerable as being "open to attack, hurt, or injury." When we display our innermost selves to someone else, we can be seriously hurt. That wasn't the case this week. Brad opened himself up this last Sunday to our small group on the issue of his dislike for the memorization of verses. He doesn't want to feel forced into doing something that doesn't have his heart as the key interest. He felt that just because he memorized a verse it wasn't necessarily in his heart--a valid concern. What I felt so great about was everyone's response to his concern. They responded in love and with God's wisdom. What an awesome thing to witness! Brad didn't feel attacked or get defensive. He just listened. Which brings me to the verse I chose to learn this week. It's Proverbs 15:1.
A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.
Everyone responded with gentle, heartfelt words. Thank you for being such wonderful friends! It is so wonderful to be able to go to friends and know that they are listening to and growing with God, so that they will give advice that is from God's word. Amen and thank you God!
P.S. I apologize to Brad if you read this and feel that I have revealed too much. I am just so proud of you for putting your personal feelings out there. I love you!!!

2 comments:

Miss Jen said...

What a witness for all of us. Thank you so much Brad for bringing this up and for asking a great question. I think it only brings us closer as a group. We are so very thankful for you guys!

Amanda said...

I thought it was great. It was good for us all to put words to why we were doing what we were doing. I am memorizing from here and looking forward to hearing about the discussion. Miss you!