Saturday, June 14, 2008

The best garage sale ever!

I am not a huge fan of garage sales. Really. My mother-in-law (and my husband--it must be genetic) have a talent for finding really nice stuff--seriously--at garage sales. Me? Not so much. For example, a few weeks ago, we went yard sale shopping as a fun family event. We came home with totally gorgeous, like new living room furniture. My husband found it. We got a STEAL of a deal. The sales I wanted to go to? We bought nothing. Even more than not finding anything, I HATE putting them on. However, I am way too cheap to just donate ALL my stuff, so I have tried my hand at having yard sales. I usually make about 50 cents an hour, on average--and I'm not exaggerating. So I can't even begin to fathom why I would agree to (okay, suggest) having a yard sale at my friend Jen's house. It turned out to be the best yard sale ever! Not monetarily speaking, of course. I only made $15 bucks yesterday from the stuff I sold, but we had so much fun! There ended up being 5 of us with all our stuff to sell and all our kids running around for 5 hours unsupervised. So now I know. Do yard sales with your friends. You attract more buyers because there is more junk, er, stuff to sell and your kids aren't on top of you all day wondering why you are selling their toys to strangers. So there it is. Today's wisdom. Enjoy! I have to sign off now to go back for day 2 of the best garage sale ever.

No comments: