Wednesday, June 25, 2008

nipples

I know what your thinking. Great title. It's really not what you think. Seriously. Monday is one of our ditch water days during the summer. Basically we just turn on the ditch water and flood the back yard. It makes for a really green backyard. Aidan and Breanna love to play in water. Any water. Dirty ditch water or not. Another of Breanna's favorite things to do is to be naked. Ditch water and naked is not necessarily a good combination. Eeewwww. I did put sunscreen on her little body, but I have yet to purchase bug spray for this year. Needless to say, she got a couple bug bites, one of which is on her knee. Bear with me here, but I'm going on another bunny trail. This will all come back together at somepoint. I wear a lot of hats--and by hats I mean I am involved in a lot of activities, volunteer and otherwise. One of the hats I wear is to be a La Leche League (LLL) leader. If you're not familiar with LLL, it is essentially a mother to mother breastfeeding support group. Among my duties are leading the monthly meetings and doing phone support for moms that need help. Obviously, when I am talking on the phone, it is not a secret as to what I am talking about. Words like nipples, latch on, breastmilk and the like are common words at my house. Do you see where I'm going with this yet? I'm almost there. So--Breanna. She gets this bug bite on her knee. It is eventually time to come in from the backyard and take a bath, so we can go out into public with out smelling yucky. Breanna is naked in the bathroom. This is how the conversation goes.
"Mommy, I have a nipple on me." Of course you do, I'm thinking. We all do.
"Okay," is my outloud response.
"I need a band-aid on my nipple," says Breanna.
"No, your nipple is fine," I say, looking at her nipples and seeing they are fine. Silly girl that Breanna is.
"No, Mommy. Right here. I have a nipple on my knee," she says as she points to the bug bite on her knee.
"Honey, that is not a nipple. That's a bug bite," as I bite my lip to keep from laughing at her very real to her anguish over this suddenly misplaced nipple.
"NO! It's a nipple!" Breanna says, in true, calm 3-year-old fashion. Some battles are not worth the fight, I have determined. (I just heard a new response that I am excited to try, "I love you too much to argue."But I haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet. I'll let you know how it goes.) So...we took our shower and I put a band-aid on her nipple, I mean, her bug bite. I figured, at least, it should keep her from scratching it, right? I share this episode with you because I keep getting reminded of it myself. Everytime that Breanna looks at the band-aid she tells me that she has a nipple on her knee. If you see her in the next few days, she will probably tell you, too. Consider yourself forewarned.

No comments: